At Smiling Tree Farm, our closed herd of original population Traditional Hereford cattle is 100% grass-fed and raised slowly on our organically managed pastures. These include wildflower meadows, herbal leys and diverse permanent grasslands.
Native Hereford cattle are designed to live free-range all year round, grazing grass and eating our home-grown pasture hay. This outdoor life not only keeps them healthier and more contented than if they were shut inside, but as the temperatures drop they lay down fat higher in omega 3, the heart-healthy, ‘anti-freeze’ fat, also found in cold-water fish.
Our beef has an exceptional depth of flavour that is due to the animals' slow maturing on a varied and wholly 100% pasture diet with no grains, soya, root crops, brassicas or silage. The meat is dark in colour and rich in nutrients, minerals, vitamins and heart-healthy fats.
Like our lamb, our beef is the perfect paleo food.
The concentration of beneficial nutrients in 100% grass-fed meat is far higher than in that from animals also fed grains, it is:
- Lower in total fat
- Lower saturated fat content
- Higher in total omega-3 fatty acids (good fats)
- A healthier ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids
- Higher in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a potential cancer fighter
- Higher in vaccenic acid (which can be turned into CLA)
- Higher in vitamin E
- Higher in B vitamins
- Higher in beta-carotene
- Higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium and potassium
Find out more about the benefits of 100% grass-fed meat from the Pasture-Fed Livestock Association.